What to do should your lender want to repossess your home

Liaise with your lender as soon as you can

Should you not have attempted to discuss potential repayment alternatives with your mortgage lender, this is your opportunity to do so. This could keep you from having to go to court.

Refer to an independent, free debt advice agency

They should clearly explain the process involved and be able to represent you. Shelter's advice agency directory provides you with several free local advice agencies, such as, the Citizens Advice Bureaux.

Ensure you have calculated your budget prior to going to court

A judge is going to wish to see the exact amount you are able to afford to repay. Any debt advice agency can provide you with a budget planner sheet. National Debtline can provide you with a budget planner sheet for England and Wales, as well as Scotland. And Advice4debtNI can provide you with one for Northern Ireland.

Going to court

It is more likely that you will keep your home should you go to a court hearing. You will then be able to put your case forward to the judge. Such hearings are usually held privately in the judge's office, as opposed to open court.

Request to see a duty officer at the court prior to your case commencing, should you not have a solicitor or debt adviser representing you

A duty officer can provide you with assistance for your case and could be able to represent you. There is no charge for the service.

Ensure that you are aware of the consequences of any arrangements offered by your mortgage lender outside the court room

You should only agree to a specific arrangement should you be able to reasonably keep to it for the remaining duration of your mortgage. Should you not be able to maintain an arrangement you have agreed to, it could be easier for your mortgage lender to repossess your property. If you are unsure of what could happen, then you must make every effort to attend the court hearing.

Carry on talking to your mortgage lender and continue to pay what you can afford

By paying back some of the money you owe, you should be able to lower your arrears.