What you can do if you are not able to pay your mortgage or you consider you will have problems doing so

You must contact your lender as soon as you can and explain your circumstances

The mortgage lender ought to go through the repayment options available for you. You need to ensure that you understand what the different options mean to you in order that you choose the right one. Click here for more information.

Have you got insurance cover to pay your mortgage?

Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance (MPPI) or Accident, Sickness and Unemployment insurance (ASU) are two types of insurance which can help with you to pay your mortgage repayments should your income have dropped due to redundancy, accident or sickness. You may have opted for them when you took out your mortgage.

What is Your Budget?

A budget planner will enable you to work out your incomings and outgoings. In order to meet your mortgage payments, it may be necessary to cut out non-essential daily purchases.

Find Out if State Benefits Will Help You

Should you be on a low income or not in work you can claim benefits and obtain some help with your mortgage interest payments. You can contact Directgov's online Benefits advisor, or speak to an advice agency or contact your local Jobcentre Plus office.

Seek Advice from an independent, free debt advice agency

For independent, free advice to enable you to resolve your problems, use Shelter's advice agency directory to find multiple free local advice agencies, such as, Citizens Advice Bureaux. Your mortgage lender could offer a debt advice service, however, you may find that you are charged upfront or the debt advice charges are added to your mortgage debt. You are not obliged to use their service.

Make payments that you are able to

Agree to repay what you are able to when discussing your options with your mortgage lender. By paying something you could be able to lower your arrears and it will encourage your lender to consider your case seriously.

Find Out what governmental help is available

You need to investigate whether or not you are eligible for a government-backed mortgage assistance scheme which may enable you to stay in your home. You can to go to the 'Get help from government schemes' on the Directgov website to find out this information.

Contemplate selling your Property on the open market

Should you consider that your situation is not going to alter long term, consider selling your home yourself and renting or moving into a less expensive property. You can of course use estate agents local to yourself or go online to check property prices in your area.

Make a request to your lender as to whether or not you can stay in your current property until you sell it and check whether they can help you through an Assisted Voluntary Sale scheme.

However, ensure that you have somewhere to live prior to moving out. Should this not be possible, you can sell your home to the company and rent it back from them. In addition, check whether or not you are able to sell your property to your local council or another social landlord and stay as a tenant.

Find Out whether or not equity release is a possible option

Should you be aged 55 or more you could be able to use equity release to raise finance on your home and stay there. This is different from a sale-and-rent-back scheme.

If you consider that you are unfairly treated complain to your mortgage lender

Do not just take the treatment should you consider that your lender is treating you unfairly. Make sure you complain, putting it in writing.